Thoughts and other trivia...

Monday, June 26, 2006

The really good scrambled eggs!

If you’ve grown up in an average north Indian home, chances are you would’ve also had the kind of scrambled eggs that I grew up having...you know, with oil, onion, tomato and salt? And, like me, perhaps, you also hated it but continued having it, anyway. (I’m too polite for my own good, I tell you.)

There wasn’t much to like about the way these scrambled eggs were made or tasted but, as a child, democracy and rights aren’t words and concepts that one is either familiar with or knows the meaning of...if one can pronounce them in the first place. (This reminds me of the time, must’ve been when I was in Class I, when I struggled to say “Congratulations” to a classmate, who, incidentally, had pipped me to first position and whom my father insisted I should call and congratulate. So, not only did I have to suffer the indignity of eating the bitter humble pie at an early age and conceding defeat to a smug foe, I also had to suffer the humiliation of offering something I neither understood nor was able to pronounce. As a mark of rebellion against such inhumane treatment, I resolved never to feature in the top ten of my class, school or college list ever again. And, I’m glad to report, till the end, I never made the toppers’ lists again!) Anyway, like it or not, if something was served, you just had to eat it.

As soon as I was able to assert my right to freedom of choice, I started to cook eggs the way I liked them...without onion and without tomato. (The former is very high on the list of things I dislike with a passion, especially in its uncooked avatar. Mouth jackers, that’s what they are!) I don’t know if I’m right in assuming this but, when cooked in combination, onions and tomatoes tend to make the eggs a bit gooey, which, I’m afraid, I don’t like very much. Anyhow, without these two ingredients, the eggs started to turn out fine. Fine, and infinitely more edible, but still boring and unadventurous. But, since I didn’t know any other way, I continued with the same old routine – break eggs into bowl, add some salt, whip it, add a dash of milk, whip some more, pour it into the pan, fry, add some pepper and eat with toast. Like I said, this was the only way I knew.

Early last year, while watching TV, I found another way to make scrambled eggs. It was only slightly different from my way but there was a huge difference in the way the eggs finally turned out. For a change, the end product not only started to look edible, it also started to taste good! There’s nothing fancy about it and, perhaps, some of you who cook well may even find it too simple but, for me, it’s just perfect!

Anyway, if you’re going to try making it, this is what you’ll need to make enough for one person:

2 eggs
The leafy part of a spring onion, chopped
8-10 pepper balls, crushed coarsely
Salt
Butter
Cheese, if you like
Milk
Chopped mushrooms, if you like (I don’t, not in my eggs)

Break the eggs in a bowl and beat well. Add salt, to taste (some people like to sprinkle it over the eggs when they’re done. I prefer to add it right at the beginning.) Beat some more. Add milk, again, to taste. (I use a lot of it.) Beat some more.

Melt some butter in a pan, which should be kept on a medium low fire. When the butter is hot, add the egg mixture to the pan and scramble it around. After it starts to solidify a little, add the cheese. Drop in the spring onion leaves soon after. Move the whole thing around nicely in the pan. Add the pepper and switch off the heat. Serve immediately with whatever you eat your eggs with.

Adding the leafy part of the onions at that late stage may seem odd but, believe me, it works really well, making the eggs nice and crunchy. And, colourful. When made well, the finished product looks golden in colour, is fabulously soft, smells great and tastes even better!

If you’re going to try it, I hope you like it...if not, well, you can blame your cooking skills :-)


(And, TR, you'd better try this now!)

23 Comments:

Blogger Inkblot said...

hey u egg freak- put a paratha underneath the egg and some green bell peppers on top in strips -cud add a zing if u need more variety,,,:)

5:57 pm  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

Good to see you found your own way to finding yourself and the way you like your eggs done :)

7:50 pm  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

i will, as soon as i'm allowed back on egg yolk and butter. unless you know a tofu recipe. :-|

are you sure there's no vodka involved? (or even benadryl?)

10:37 pm  
Blogger km said...

Scrambled eggs is why God invented hangover.

TR: pure codeine phosphate gives the "egg bhurji" a purplish glow around the edges. Mighty delicious.

11:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

again...like ur other recipe..seems doable..

will report back in a few days :D

6:02 am  
Blogger kundalini said...

great recipe ghost.
since you dont like onions, you can use chopped chives instead of the spring onion tail. they give an excellent flavour. mushrooms taste good, to me, but one has to be careful putting them in. they leave water the instant you add salt.

whats cookin' next? :)

8:47 am  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Inkblot: I've had more than my share of eggs and parathas. So much, in fact, that now it almost makes my stomach turn. But, as they say, never say never. Maybe I'll try it :-)

Egg freak? :-\


M: Finding myself? Not quite...still looking :-)


TR, KM: What kind of company have you guys been keeping? Or, is it that, as usual, I missed out on the good things in life? :-)


Chandni: Well, we shall wait for the report then...as we're waiting for the last one :-)


Kundalini: Thanks for the chives bit. Will try :-) But, I don't mind spring onions so much...not half as much sting as the other ones.

Next? Hmm...it'll have to be something I've never tried making before. Maybe something south Indian :-)

11:13 am  
Blogger sattva said...

ghost, i really enjoyed this post. i must HEARTILY disagree, coz i absolutely LOVE tomatoes and onions in my scrambled eggs. AND green chillies...as desi as it gets :) i detest the scrambled eggs in europe...no salt, no tadka...kya bakwaas hai :( if i ever meet u, u're NOT making me scrambled eggs :)

3:44 pm  
Blogger sattva said...

and, i tried your soya curry recipe. i love soya, and the dish turned out really well, so thank u for that one :)

6:00 pm  
Blogger Blue Athena said...

This tastes nice to me already and since I'm a complete onion freak, am gonna put that as well! The tomatoes can take a walk! :)

Will let you know how it turned out!

6:24 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Sattva: Oh right! How could I forget the chillies? But your comments made my day. Twice over :-)

The first one especially b'cos of "kya bakwas hai" :-) and the second one for liking the soya curry. Thanks!! :-)


Blue Athena: Oh, if you're going to make your eggs this way, please try it with spring onions...you never know how it might turn out with the regular type.

Waiting to hear how it worked out :-)

11:21 pm  
Blogger Prerona said...

Funny how most people feel so strongly about Onions - one way or another! So, when r u going to write a non foodie post again? :)

4:50 pm  
Blogger MockTurtle said...

Nice - share my mom's secret scrambled egg recipe with the world.
A good point to note is that the egg can thicken very quickly and lose its buttery consistency if you cook it with the heat too high.

2:15 pm  
Blogger ~Nitoo Das~ said...

Try baby corn instead of the mushrooms.

12:44 am  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Prerona: A non-food post coming up...soon :-)


MockTurtle: Good to see you again, MT :-) How's the vacation been?

Your mother makes it like this? Really? And, you're absolutely right about cooking on a low flame...I don't think I emphasised that enough.


River: Baby corn...with egg? Okay, will try. Thanks :-)

12:54 pm  
Blogger Sonia said...

i like onions and tomatoes in my egg. so I'm gonna give this one a miss. I've had omelettes with cheese and baked beans and green peppers. but i haven't tried it scrambled. hmm, maybe i will give it a shot.

10:42 pm  
Blogger MockTurtle said...

Vacation's going well. Good home cooked food (including buttered eggs for breakfast) and my liver seems to be holding up to my nightly assaults on it. Not sure why I'm going back next week.

10:50 am  
Blogger Raghav said...

yum

8:34 am  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Sonia: I wonder how an omelette with baked beans tastes? Nice?


MT: Are you still around or is it back to the office girl with no name? :-)


Raghav: Thanks...and welcome :-)

1:18 pm  
Blogger ether said...

shuccks i don't know how i missed this post.
sounds so sumptous!

9:58 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Fingers: :-) If it sounds sumptuous, I assure you, it tastes even better :-)

10:50 pm  
Blogger Sleepymaggie said...

yummmyy.. im going to try this.
tho the spring onions sound really shady.;p

3:32 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

SkullSalad: Shady? Shady!! They're so full of character :-)

12:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home