Thoughts and other trivia...

Saturday, June 10, 2006

In deference to persistent public demand and in view of the humbling, worldwide fame I seem to have acquired through the Chinese orange marmalade post, I find I have no choice but to write about food once again. I guess, there’s only so much that one can evade social responsibility without feeling any guilt :-)

I cooked something last night that I haven’t made for a really long time. It’s actually a friend’s adaptation of some sort of beef curry. A vegetarian, like myself, he substituted the beef with Nutri Nuggets (Soya chunks) and came up with a very fine dish. For those who may not know this, Soya is an incredibly good substitute for meat and, chances are, you can fool even hardcore meat eaters into believing that they’re consuming some kind of meat. Some of my friends make rather good vegetarian kababs, of different types, with Soya. In fact, even white channa (chick pea) is pretty good, and convincing, for one type of vegetarian kababs. But, we digress...To make the Soya curry...

  • Soak Soya nuggets for an hour in water and Marmite/Soya sauce.

  • Chop two potatoes into cubes.
  • Slice one large onion and lots of garlic and some ginger.

  • In a pan/pressure cooker, in a little oil, fry whole spices – cinnamon, cardamom, clove and black pepper.

  • Add onion.

  • Add garlic and ginger paste and two split chillies.

  • Fry and then add powdered spices

Jeera – 1-2 tsps

Dhania – 1-2 tsps

Haldi – 1 flat tsp

Amchoor – 1 heaped spoon

Red chilly powder – ½ teaspoon

  • Add 2-3 large chopped tomatoes.
  • Sprinkle salt and stir a few times.
  • Lower flame and cover till tomatoes have dissolved.
  • Squeeze out Soya nuggets and add to pressure cooker/pan.
  • Stir a while in the spices and add potatoes.
  • Stir some more.
  • Cover with water and cover the vessel with lid.
  • Cook for 20 minutes or until Soya nuggets are soft and cooked.
  • Taste for salt and add lemon juice to taste.
  • Thicken curry with corn flour paste, if you like.
  • Serve hot with rice, with a sprinkling of fresh coriander.

Enjoy!

(Coming soon, a post on scrambled eggs...and I mean really good scrambled eggs.)

24 Comments:

Blogger kundalini said...

never cared for nutri nuggets, but this curry sounds pretty yum! and much healthier than a meat curry. lots of protein. :)

when we were kids, my mother, a veg, would try and pass off jack fruit curry as chicken curry. never worked. :)

look fwd to the next recipe, ghost.

10:54 am  
Blogger Sonia said...

i'll probably try this with beef. :) sounds yum!

1:02 pm  
Blogger cactusjump said...

soak with marmite - hmmm, interesting. btw, i hope u know that though high in protein soya is also very high in estrogen content so it's not a good idea to eat it too often :)

8:01 pm  
Blogger MockTurtle said...

Interesting, but... Please! Beef is the only thing that can substitute for beef. Maybe soy will fool the rank amateur, but you cannot pull the wool over my eyes with that stuff.
Keep the recipes coming, none the less.
-MT

10:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

groovy!!

doesnt look very difficlut...will definitely try it...but I am using meat..not sustitutes :)

11:09 am  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

i'm with mt. soya is good but "you can fool even hardcore meat eaters into believing that they’re consuming some kind of meat" is sacrilege. i prefer it when soya stays soya -- some chinese beancurd desserts are heavenly.

5:19 pm  
Blogger Inkblot said...

ahhh- keep goin, food for thought or pure frolic :D

8:39 pm  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

looking forward to the next post on 'really good' scrambled eggs.

1:15 pm  
Blogger J said...

since i dont know how to make scrambled eggs, i'll wait.

2:59 pm  
Blogger km said...

I was once served a soya nugget dish but was told it was chicken. I chuckled to myself all through the (delicious) meal. Imagine my surprise then when one of the soya nuggets actually stood up, cluck-clucked and ran away from the plate!

//it's a monday. The coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

8:19 pm  
Blogger Sonia said...

btw, i make really good scrambled eggs.

9:19 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Kundalini: Growing up, even I didn't care much for them but, after this curry, I've started to like soya nuggets quite a lot :-)

Jackfruit curry for chicken...never thought of that!


Sonia: Do let me know how your beef curry works out :-)

And, just how do you make the "really good scrambled eggs"? Tell...


CactusJump: Really?! Didn't know that but then I don't have it so often :-)


MockTurtle: The intention behind using soya was not to fool meat eaters :-) If you eat those veggie kababs I mentioned, you'll have no doubt that it tastes just like some kind of meat. Although I've had beef a couple of times during my meat-eating days, which ended 17 years ago, I can't remember how it compares with the veggie meat :-) But, I guess, hard-core meat eaters know better.

11:52 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Chandni: Okay, if you insist but do let me know how it turs out with the real thing :-)


Tabula Rasa: Again, as I said to MT, the idea isn't to try and fool regular meat eaters...that's just a by-product. But, let me tell you, a friend, who eats more meat (of all types) than anybody else I've ever known, once ate these soya kababs and said, in these words, that that was "really good beef". But, to be fair, I must also confess that he was rather high at that time :-)


Inkblot: Both, friend, both :-)


Cocaine Jesus: Now that's what I call pressure :-)


J: Howdy! Am I to take that at face value? :-)


KM: Well, the coffee may not have kicked in but the yogurt sure seems to be doing so ;-)

12:13 am  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Soulless Ash: Well, we aim to please :-)

12:15 am  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Soulless Ash: Hey, did you have the beef or the soya curry? The former, I should think...b'cos my friend thought of substituting the beef with soya

12:18 am  
Blogger wildflower seed said...

Ghost
Try this link for the Dylan download. I uploaded it.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D87525FE5C01568D

7:05 am  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

now *that's* some good appetizer :-)

8:18 am  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

VentilatorBlues: I will, thanks a ton again :-)


Tabula Rasa: Okay, that does it buddy...that's twice now. First the Cohen remark on VB's blog and now this...watch your back, mate :-)

9:17 am  
Blogger ~Nitoo Das~ said...

Even though I'm a die-hard meat-eater, I like soya nuggets a lot.
I think I'll try this recipe someday soon. Thanks. :)

11:30 am  
Blogger Blue Athena said...

Nice! :)

2:11 pm  
Blogger ether said...

scrambled eggs, I look forward to

3:24 am  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

River: You're welcome :-)


Blue Athena: :-)


Fingers: Coming up...soon. Remember the deal?

5:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... »

2:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Jeep alarm systems Home decor majolica style jazz themed home decor How to boost credit score over night Interior design firm dallas

10:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home