Thoughts and other trivia...

Friday, June 23, 2006

Received a mail from a friend today, with a poem against drunken driving. It originated in the US, and has been initiated by MADD (Mothers Against Drunken Driving...or, is it Drunk Drivers?)

Makes sense.

WENT TO A PARTY, MOM

I went to a party,
And remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mom
So I had a Sprite instead.

I felt proud of myself,
The way you said I would,
That I didn't drink and drive,
Though some friends said I should.

I made a healthy choice,
And your advice to me was right,
The party finally ended,
And the kids drove out of sight.

I got into my car,
Sure to get home in one piece,
I never knew what was coming, Mom
Something I expected least.

Now I'm lying on the pavement,
And I hear the policeman say,
The kid that caused this wreck was drunk,
Mom, his voice seems far away.

My own blood's all around me,
As I try hard not to cry.
I can hear the paramedic say,
This girl is going to die.

I'm sure the guy had no idea,
While he was flying high,
Because he chose to drink and drive,
Now I would have to die.

So why do people do it, Mom
Knowing that it ruins lives?
And now the pain is cutting me,
Like a hundred stabbing knives.

Tell sister not to be afraid, Mom
Tell daddy to be brave,
And when I go to heaven,
Put "Daddy's Girl" on my grave.

Someone should have taught him,
That it's wrong to drink and drive.
Maybe if his parents had,
I'd still be alive.

My breath is getting shorter, Mom
I'm getting really scared.
These are my final moments,
And I'm so unprepared.

I wish that you could hold me Mom,
As I lie here and die.
I wish that I could say, "I love you, Mom!"
So I love you and good-bye.

11 Comments:

Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

surely this isn't the promised recipe for really good scrambled eggs?

11:55 am  
Blogger km said...

*ROFLMAO* at TR's comment.

Drunken driving is scary. While I can't seem to stop drinking (uh, Billy Wilder, stop that movie), I hardly drive after drinking these days. A cab ride is *so* much cheaper.

(Wonder if Venice has Mothers Against Drunken Gondola Pilots?)

12:02 am  
Blogger ~Nitoo Das~ said...

Jeez. ~:O
I can understand the thought behind it and all that, but it's rather sappy, no?
The Sprite (on a second read) almost made me choke.

5:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

while the poem by itself does not appeal to me...I am very much againt drinking and driving...if u see me chid friends..u'll see!! :)

btw I have read this poem...may be in younger days when I read "chicken soup for the soul"

*runs to avoid teasing*

4:37 am  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

TR: But it is, mate! What a pity you couldn't crack the code :-)


KM: "ROFLYAOATTRC," ("Rolling on the floor, laughing your ass off, at TR's comments", for the uninitiated) a sage once told me, "can be serious injurious to health." So, as the other sage from a TV channel would say, mind it :-)


River: Oh, it's VERY sappy :-) But, as you said, I guess it's the thought behind it.


Chandni: Absolutely, the poem is crap but, as River said, it's the thought behind it that makes sense.

*Rues missed opportunity to tease* :-)

10:46 am  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

i cracked the code all right, but didn't believe it given the way you've been going on about your vegetarianism. welcome to the club (sandwich) :-)

9:33 pm  
Blogger the-think said...

this reminds me of a frightening mail that did its rounds some time ago - of a girl terribly disfigured in an accident where someone was drunk...
terrible...

8:31 am  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

TR: Happy to be a part of the club, as long a my sandwich remains the veggie type :-)


The-Think: Yeah, in hindsight, it wasn't the greatest stuf to put up...bad poetry that paints an un-pretty picture. Sorry :-)

11:40 am  
Blogger Sonia said...

here in dubai, the accidents are mainly cos of road rage. no one seems to realize that their cars still run below 200kmph.

2:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific post. MADD (and SADD) are top notch organizations. Drunk driving MUST stop!

11:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

12:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home