Thoughts and other trivia...

Saturday, February 04, 2012

It's not you, sweetie

...it’s me. That sounds like a complete con, doesn’t it? It’s been used by so many people, so many times, for so long that it’s almost impossible to take the line, or the sentiment it expresses, seriously. Sadly, it sounds fake even when it’s not.

I take no pride in this but I’ve said it a couple of times myself. But, I think, I’ve meant it each time. A friend, to whom I had the misfortune of saying this, is in town for a project. I was talking to her this morning, when she asked if I’d found my “elusive woman”. She asks me this same question almost every time we talk on the phone. And then we laugh, as we did today. Then, she said she wants to set me up with someone she knows. “...a really sweet person. She seems a little immature at times but she’s a gem. She’s perfect for you,” she said.

I haven’t even met this person she was talking about and, yet, I found myself repeating the it’s-not-you (in this case, her) line. I’m hardly flattering myself when I say this but it’s like second nature to me now. Because I don’t see it as something that’s just about finding the right, or the perfect, person...a Ms/Mr Wonderful. It’s as much, if not more, about being all those things yourself. And, I’ve reached a stage in life where I don’t think I’ve very much left to offer anyone. But, no one takes it seriously. They still think you’re trying to wriggle out of a sticky situation. I’m not. I mean it.

Really.

2 Comments:

Blogger dumb_ank said...

In the same boat...almost!

2:57 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

You know what they say about "almost", don't you? ;-)

5:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home