Thoughts and other trivia...

Friday, January 27, 2012

Life...

It’s been one of those days. One of those slightly strange ones...up and then down.

First came a message from a friend in the morning that, finally, she’d found a job she could move to. She’s been looking for a long time and wasn’t particularly happy with either the one she currently has or the ones that were being offered to her along the way. It’s terrible when you start feeling like you’re stuck, whether in a job or a relationship. So, naturally, she was thrilled to bits when this one came by and I was extremely happy for her. I hope - no, I’m sure - it’ll lead to even better things for her. So, that was a happy start and I was, generally, feeling good.

A little later, I got a call from a friend, who’d just finished a tour of a playschool near her house. She’s been looking for one for her little daughter. While talking, she started crying because she couldn’t bear the thought of her girl being put through the grind already. Among other things, she didn’t like it that such small kids were being made to stand and recite the alphabet when, clearly, it’s not time for them yet. She doesn’t want her small daughter to go through this nonsense but, at the same time, fears that if she doesn’t follow the rest, her daughter may fall behind. As she was sitting in her car and sobbing, I heard the little girl ask her why she was crying and it just felt so horrible! My friend sent me a text message later in the afternoon, apologising for "acting like a baby" but, really, who can blame her?

A few minutes ago, another friend called. After a year of tests and uncertainty and speculation, finally, her mother has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. The thought of losing one’s cognitive powers is scary and, obviously, my friend and her family are going through a very difficult time. I’ve met her mother a couple of times and I always think of her as a lovely, likable woman, who has this very mischievous look about her. To now think of her as quiet, withdrawn, forgetful and reclusive, as she’s been for a while, is strange.

It’s really been an odd day.

2 Comments:

Blogger austere said...

You could point your friend to swapna's blog, swapnawrites, for caregivers.

12:48 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Okay, will do. Thanks. I'll go and check it myself just now...

3:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home