Thoughts and other trivia...

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Is there anybody out there?

I was switching channels last evening when I chanced upon this news story about two sisters, who’d locked themselves in their house for about seven months and severed all contact with the outside world. I remember there was another case, a few months ago, of two other sisters, who were also found in very similar circumstances and in very similar physical and mental condition. But, there was something truly pathetic about what I saw yesterday. The younger of the two sisters, who was on her feet and could walk about, looked emaciated and gaunt and had this very haunted look about her. But, the sight of the other sister was something else. She was bed-ridden and to say that she was a bag of bones would, perhaps, be an exaggeration.

Much has been said to explain how and why things may have come to such a pass. There have been theories and suggestions of alienation, isolation and mental illness and, no doubt, they’re all true. But, I don’t know if any of it helps when you’re confronted with something like this.

I have to say - this was deeply, deeply disturbing and profoundly moving.




4 Comments:

Blogger Maia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:36 pm  
Blogger Maia said...

So tragic, na?

I'm sure you would've heard...the older of the two sisters died in the hospital today

7:36 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Yeah, I heard...poor things!

1:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loneliness kills...

5:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home