Thoughts and other trivia...

Friday, October 13, 2006

The game is afoot!

It has taken more than its fair share of time to get off the ground but, finally, the much-mentioned television series is officially on. Finally, I'm off to Bombay today! And, then, for the recce to Alibaug tomorrow, where we'll be shooting in November. The ball has been set a-rolling!

Obviously, I'm not at liberty to discuss specifics here, except to say that we're working on a non-fiction series in English. While it is a 13-part series, the fate of the other twelve episodes depends on how the channel reacts to the first one, which we hope to complete before the end of the year. So, effectively, what we're working on is a pilot but, as they like to say, an air-able pilot...good enough to be telecast as is.

I think we've got a pretty good deal here, not only in terms of the budget but also the relative ease with which the show has come through. Of course, the waiting period has been killing but everything else has gone by rather smoothly. But, oddly, the show is the last thing on my mind at the moment.

What I'm really preoccupied with right now is The List. Each time I have to go out of town, I make a list of things I need to do before I leave. Nothing unusual about that, right? I'm sure everyone else makes lists too. Except that my lists are the really long, never ending variety. And, sadly, I've never been able to mark all the contents of my list as 'Done'. For some reason, for every item I cross out from the list, I seem to add a new job to do. As a result, the list becomes virtually inexhaustible. So, instead of the show we're supposed to be starting, I've had many other important things on my mind this week. For instance, buy coffee for a friend, buy Fukuoka for the friend's cousin, phone X, send a text message to Y, visit Z, clean the room, switch the phones, shift out the empty flower pots, buy meds...I'm still a long way away from finishing the 47 jobs I have on my list.

Perhaps I contribute to my own misery because, at most times, I start tackling the list too late. And, perhaps, my list is always too damned long!

If The List wasn't bad enough, what is bloody scary is this other thing. Ostensibly, I'm going to Bombay for work. But, even before I've reached there, plans have already been made to indulge in certain pleasurable, extra curricular activities. For instance, watch as many films as possible at the Asian Film Festival, which begins in Bombay today, join Tai Chi classes, visit Pune during the next weekend...hell, when am I going to work!

But, then, I don't care...I'm going to BOMBAY!

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew shooting one episode took so long. Three months? Or is it just because it's the first episode?

The "list problem" you mention happens with me too. Not that I make lists but I have mental ones so..empathy comes.

And Bombay is a lovely city! :)

12:37 pm  
Blogger sattva said...

hurrah, this is SUPER news! as promised, me and my baby will have to suffer yr bakwas scrambled eggs, but cos u are a kind soul, u will let me off the hook :)

such excitement, going to bombay :) i make a list too, and that itself makes me feel accomplished. once i get there, i calmly forget all about it.

have fun with the shoot.

3:03 pm  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

have fun! (and don't worry, we won't move your pots around while you're away :-)

6:13 pm  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

Good luck! I'm happy for you. And don't worry. It will all work out. Even if you have the longest list ever :)

7:06 pm  
Blogger Sonia said...

yes, you're in bombay, and that's all that matters! :)

have fun!

1:21 pm  
Blogger MockTurtle said...

Congratulations Ghost! I'm happy for you and wish the best of luck with the pilot.
Now tear up your list and get your ass to Bombay!

6:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making plans and looking forward to things other than the intended purpose of your visit to Bombay is not such a bad thing.

I remember, as a child and even as a teenager, everytime we travelled by train, I'd hope to meet someone nice on the journey. (of course I never did :)

It's not always the destination that counts... the fun things you do along the way make it all worthwhile.

Have a great time :)

1:10 pm  
Blogger Bidi-K said...

thats so good to hear! good luck with the episode and also the having fun part. you'll forget about the list as soon as you are in Bombay :)

2:41 pm  
Blogger Szerelem said...

congrats!!!....are you in bombay already??? Hope you have/ are having fun!

2:44 pm  
Blogger km said...

Break a leg.

But what's up with TR and your pots? :)

8:09 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Anirudh: No, usually it doesn't take that long. But, since this first episode has to set the tone for the rest of the series, we need to get everything right. When we finally get down to the other episodes, the pace will be rather hectic.


Sattva: Since you're so kind, I promise to add onion and tomato to your scrambled eggs :-) Thanks :-)



TR: Phew! That's one less thing to worry about. Thanks :-)



M: Thanks. About the list, let me put it this way...I'll dwell on my failure to finish it when I get back to Delhi :-)



Sonia: Yeah but, thankfully, not living in a weird home. Thanks :-)

3:26 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

MT: Thanks, pal...we're going to need it. Especially b'cos of the kind of prson we're dealing with on this one :-)


Tangential: That's just the kind of thing that happens to others, right? Meeting interesting people while travelling.

Thanks!


Bidi-K: You're right...with all the things that we're doing right now, there's no time to even think about the wretched list. Thanks :)


Szerelem: Yes, I'm in Bombay...been here for a few days now. And, expectedly, very busy with everything but work! Been watching a lot of films at the Asian Film festival :-)



KM: Thanks, pal. About the pots, you may remember the list of slightly weird things I once wrote about...does Keith Sting ring a bell?...TR is very kindly referring to my occasional OCD :-)

3:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ghost, did you delete the poem I posted here about you and your lust for Bombay (out of sheer shyness)? If you haven't, and I just jumbled up things, don't ask me for it... Inspiration strikes but once, and then morphs into a flower in the desert, wasting its fragrance on the sun and the occasional camel dung. Whatcha upto?

8:50 pm  
Blogger kundalini said...

you've been tagged, over at mine. :)

8:58 pm  
Blogger sophie said...

I will be in Bombay in January
- let me know any great
places to go:)

Congratulations on your
series:)

2:32 am  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

I wish I were going to Bombay. It sounds great. Please blog back with details.

8:31 pm  
Blogger Sonia said...

like i said, you should try living in a weird home. :)

Say hi to that mad city for me ok! i MISS that place! SOOO jealous of you!

1:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, so exciting! Congrats! Wow!
(I understand about lists; we share the infinity trait...)

10:11 am  
Blogger Nautilus said...

I know a thing or two about never-ending Todo lists! Wonder why we make them when we know that we can never get all of them done....

11:36 am  
Blogger austere said...

Good luck.

10:15 pm  
Blogger mad angles said...

hey, good luck with your show!

I know the bit about Bombay, has the same effect on me. just the thought that i'm going makes the trip worthwhile!

12:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Hope its all working out.

6:40 am  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

how are things? no updates, what?

11:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Nothing like the heady feeling that realising a long-cherished dream brings about :-)!

Rock Bombay!

10:47 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Fact & Fiction: You know what I always say...a poor craftsperson always blames the tools ;-) Looks like YOU "jumbled up things" :-)


Kundalini: Oh boy! Shall check it out and do the needful soon :-)


Sophie: Thanks. Don’t worry, will send you enough info to equip you well for the trip :-)


Enemy of the Republic: Yeah, would be fun if you were going to Bombay too. The next post will have all the details.


Sonia: The city said "Hi!" back to you and asked you to pay a little more attention while you’re driving. Who knows, one day you may even end up in the neighbouring state ;-)


SilverMoon: Thanks :-)

12:48 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Nautilus: Well, when I’m making those lists, believe me, I have every intention of doing each listed job. But, it’s just that, I end up taking on too damned much...


Austere: Thanks, we’ll need it :-)


Essar: For me, it’s only worthwhile when I set foot on the Bombay soil but I know what you mean :-)


Ph: So far, it’s going fine. Thanks :-)


M: Things are fine...an update follows :-)


Driftwood: True...and I hope we can see this through :-) Thanks!

12:51 pm  
Blogger Sonia said...

ALLLLL cos you U!

1:32 pm  
Blogger Sonia said...

(you know i'm kidding right?)

1:33 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Sonia: Yeah, I know :-)

7:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home