Thoughts and other trivia...

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Dunkey...

...is what our English teacher would call us when he thought one of us had failed to live up to his lofty ideal of a good student. On other occasions, depending entirely on the severity of our crimes, we were either asked if we thought we were "lards" (lords) or gleefully informed that we were "maunkeys", fit only to swing from trees, like our betailed and, often, red-assed, cousins. But, thanks to thick skins, steely determination and very short attention spans, the sundry corrective measures that he, and others like him, employed to rein us in usually passed us by. But, it seems that the spectre of dunkey-ness is back to haunt me. Because that's pretty much how I'm feeling these days...like the sorry beast of our burden. Overworked, underfed, sleepless and unpaid.

This was supposed to be my time off from work, to relax and do nothing for a while, before we get down to business. These ten days were meant to catch up with some friends, put my room and all the lousy papers in it in some order, water my plants in peace, make some of my (Chinese) orange marmalade, burn some music CDs, watch a film...But then you know what they say...the best laid plans of dunkeys ad maunkeys oft go awry.

We had barely finished with our script last week when I suddenly got saddled with this massive and impossible task. Not only has it robbed me of all my free time here in Delhi, it's threatening to take up all the free time in Bombay as well...but, trouble is, there's not going to be any free time in Bombay! Because, now that we're barely one week away from our shoot, I doubt I'll be able to devote any time to this boring, godforsaken assignment. I really don't know how I'm going to finish this job or what I'm going to tell them if I can't finish it. Truth be told, I have this very strong urge to turn it in and apologise profusely for not being able to see it through. Because, as this Sidhuism goes, a man who runs away from a fight, lives to fight another day.

(Hmm...now that I'm beginning to refer to that raving lunatic's pearls of wisdom, I think I need to get some help!)

Seriously, I suppose I deserve what I'm getting for not having refused the job. But, like someone I knew used to tell me, my problem is that, sometimes, I just can't say no. To be fair to myself though, I think I had made my reluctance quite clear, and even added a few difficult clauses, but, sadly, the man refused to take no for an answer. So, here I am, toiling away, robbed of even the simple pleasure of celebrating another trip to Bombay, which starts...today! And, where Bombay begins, Cribbing ends :-)

I'm leaving in a few hours and, somehow, this silly assignment is going to have to work itself out...because I don't think I can. But, there's no getting away from it, is there? With the amount of work we're going to have to do in the coming days, either way, I think I'm going to live up to the faith that the good Mr. S. reposed in me many years ago and do a dunkey-load of work :-)

15 Comments:

Blogger Sonia said...

aww! finish it somehow. otherwise it'll keep nagging you and you won't be able to enjoy bombay as much.

and next time round, instead of hinting, just say NO!

11:45 am  
Blogger ~Nitoo Das~ said...

You reminded me of my sports teacher in school. He used English so very imaginatively. One my favourites was this: When we talked too much he used to tell us--Put your lips on your fingers!!! And we'd run around pouting and try to touch our fingers with our mouths. :D

5:16 pm  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

hmm. how bout you could try the age-old mantra: dunkey-maunkey-STOP!

i tried telling a korean colleague yesterday that our P.T. teacher in school would threaten us by telling us he'd beat us so hard we'd turn into pigeons. ("maar maar kar kabootar banaa doonga.") somehow it doesn't quite transfer in the translation.

now i'm rambling. we had this other PT teacher who was also "imaginative" in his construction. these following had been attributed to him (remember, this was before the internet).
- "open thi window and lat thi climate come in."
- "go chack in thi cunteen if thi s'mosas are under cunstruction."
and the all time great
- "today you are lying with me. tomarrow you will lie with someone else. what goes of my father?"

enjoy bombay. break a leg.

7:16 pm  
Blogger Arthur Quiller Couch said...

I feel you, dude. Work sucks.

7:19 pm  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

funny how different cultures have shared words but with different meanings. dunkey when i was at school was a slang expression for condoms!!!

yeah, work does suck!

2:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dhainchoo! (That isn't a sneeze.)

10:08 am  
Blogger sattva said...

ghost, life sucks man! and long live our school teachers who never realised how much they made us laugh unknowingly :)

4:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe we've all had those teachers haven't we. But good luck with your work and don't stress too much. Shit work always has a way of taking care of itself!

4:27 pm  
Blogger Szerelem said...

Oh poor you!! enjoy bbay...but pls update this time =P

9:56 pm  
Blogger MockTurtle said...

Sidhu may have borrowed that particular Sidhuism.
All the best for the Bombay trip.

2:02 am  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Sonia: Although I did a really bad job of that assignment, I managed to finish it in time and, more importantly, those guys were happy with the job...so, who am I to complain :-)

But, you're right, next time, the answer will have to be a NO!



River: Just for these occasions, don't you wish you had detachable lips...it'd make the command easier to obey :-)



TR: Oh yes...dunkey-maunkey stop :-) About the pigeon bit...guess, it gets lost in translation.

Today you're lying with me... and the under-construction samosa are good ones :-)



AQC: The boring type sure does suck but, in the end, it worked out for me.

4:53 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Cocaine Jesus: That's funny, man! Imagine your school teacher calling you a condom :-) But you're right about similar sounding words meanig different things in different cultures. I believe huge corporate organisations have also had trouble on this count



Anirudh : Sure :-)



Sattva: I think some of them were cussed enough to not give a damn about making us laugh. The amount of thrashing we got from them must've made up for all the times we laughed at their expense :-)



SilverMoon: Thanks. Yes, in the end, it all worked out quite well, especially the shoot...will write about it soon.

4:59 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Essar: Right...this shit job did too. Take care of itself, I mean. But, man, did it really killed me :-)



Szerelem: Sorry, I just didn't have the opportunity to blog. First, I was trying to find the time to do the two jobs on hand and then the shooting bit was terribly exhausting. The shoot got over late on Friday nigt and I'm still feeling tired and sleepy :-)



MT: What a crook that Siddhu is! :-) But, to be fair to him, I think I once heard him say that a lot of the stuff he says comes from books...I only wish that, sometimes, he'd just think before opening his mouth :-)

5:05 pm  
Blogger Blue Athena said...

Ah! I see I've been away too long. :)

11:55 pm  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

You think so? Isn't that what the 50-odd people are saying on your blog? :-)

5:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home