Thoughts and other trivia...

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Australia



Sometimes, when you wake up in the morning, there’s a song playing in your head. Sometimes, it’s a thought. When I woke up this morning, I had a line from Australia running around in my head.

It’s been a while since I watched the film and, so, what I remember may be more a romantic notion of it than fact. More of what I want it to be rather than what it was, which is what some of our memories are and what most nostalgia amounts to. I remember it as an epic-type film, with a large, sweeping canvas, mounted on a lavish scale. Very David Lean-esque. And, yeah, it did go on for a bit.

Three or four lines/dialogues from the film have stayed with me and, apropos of nothing, keep popping in and out of my head every now and then. All these lines come from either the very earthy Hugh Jackman or the aboriginals and there is to them, therefore, a bit of the native wisdom and a raw earthiness. And, in that lies their appeal because, I think, inherent in that earthiness is an implied sense of goodness, which connects on an emotional level rather than the practical and logical one.  

But, I always recall one of the lines only through association because what comes to mind, always, is the exact opposite of how it is in the film.

Odd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home